瀏覽單個文章
Puff Daddy
Golden Member

Puff Daddy的大頭照

加入日期: Mar 2001
您的住址: 南加州的牧場
文章: 3,280
上周日有位熱心的網友 Marc 稍早答應要幫我調整 JTR Captivator 1400. 剛好另一位網友 bulls 也正在考慮要選擇 反射式 還是 封閉式 的超低音. Marc 就把他的封閉式 PSA S3000i 也帶來做個小網聚. bulls 在2月初就已經來我家聽過 Cap 1400 了. 我也想聽聽封閉式重低音.

我的JTR Cap 1400 18吋反射式重低音

Marc 的 PSA S3000i 雙15吋背對背重低音

這兩台的擴大機板剛好都是 SpeakerPower 的 1400W Ice Power Amp.

我的說明: 空間約 10 坪大
I have the Cap 1400 gain at 12 o'clock, LF Adjust @ Max ( 2015 Cap 1400 LF Adjust is +/-6 dB, and 2016 Caps are cut only). Sub trim on AVR is +3 dB.

Initially we had the Cap 1400 @ 11 o'clock from the MLP and the PSA 3000i @ 10 o'clock. This is when we roughly level-matched them with REW. Then we replaced the Cap 1400 with the PSA 3000i (9 ft from MLP) and moved the Cap 1400 to the other front 1/4 wall position (11.5 ft from MLP), between center and right channel. We did not run auto calibration for the subs at these spots.

First we played music videos (Eagles - California Live at Sydney and Justin Bieber - Baby) @ -17.5 MV. I did not play any MVs last time when bulls was here. When I was playing Justin Bieber - Baby, both Marc and bulls got up and started walking around the room and even stood behind the MLP. I have been saying that the bass is very potent in this video...

For movies clips we played @ -12.5 MV. First it was the Irene Scene from Black Hawk Down (just for me to see what the fuss was all about, LOL), then the first 40 seconds of Edge of Tomorrow. I was very surprised that from 20~30 Hz, the Cap 1400 was hitting 125 dB and the PSA S3000i was hitting 120 dB. Never did I know I was anywhere near reference level much less above it. This was where we heard the chuffing. To get a better sense of how the subs would handle bass in movies not mixed at crazy levels, we watched the Hulk vs Abomination scene from The Incredible Hulk. Finally, we played the Washington Monument Scene from Olympus Has Fallen and the Grenade scene in World War Z.

Marc was grinning from ear to ear bombarded by the Cap 1400 wind!

Marc 的說明:
Well, we had a small GTG at Chucky7's house yesterday (@Chucky7, @bulls , and myself). The JTR Cap1400 and the PSA S3000i. To cut to the chase, there was no winner in my mind, only that the two subs have inherent differences. Neither sounded better to me overall, just different.

Chucky runs his LFE +10dB hot & we also ran the volume well over reference. His room is not large and had considerable room gain despite two openings leading to the kitchen and the rest of the house. We ran clips from the Ultimate Bass Demo Discs as well as some music (Hotel California in 5.1 DTS-HD MA sounded great). The JTR had in-room extension to about 14Hz and hit peaks of 125 dB between 20-30Hz w/movie clips. The PSA was no slouch with extension down to 6Hz and hitting peaks of 120dB from 20-30Hz.

We moved the JTR to the other front 1/4 wall position for better FR and placed the PSA in its original place. At the levels we were playing (~10dB over reference) there was definitely some chuffing on the JTR but it didn't bother me because it had an amazing ability to create wind! Not just a small breeze but strong wind if you were directly in front of the port. We sat about 2m from the front of the JTR. The JTR was also more tactile (except for at 10Hz of course) for the most part. The PSA had a bit more mid-bass. @bulls seemed no closer to making a decision when we left than before. A Cap 2400ULF will hit 20Hz but he can't face it towards the MLP to feel the wind. At regular listening volumes I doubt the chuffing is a big issue. A second Cap 1400 would likely increase chuff free headroom.

Honestly, without the sealed PSA S3000i there and REW RTA we wouldn't know we were missing any content at 10Hz.

Is there something about the JTR Cap 1400 that produces more port wind than other designs?

I personally think the new @Rythmik FV25 should be a consideration for the OP to get a form factor closer to the Cap 1400 and also get 10Hz extension. It should be quite formidable in his size room with room gain.

Because I am a champion of dual subs I believe dual PSA V1801s have a great price, finish, and form factor and would be a better choice than a single Cap 1400 for the OP (giving up on the quest for 10Hz). But oh the Cap 1400 wind!

@chucky I didn't want to out you about the Bieber demo. At least it featured Ludacris!

Honestly though, The Eagles sounded amazing on his system. The trumpets sounded more lifelike on his system than mine (my Mirage OMD-28s excell more with the string instruments). I think many people underestimate the importance of matched (in his case identical) drivers all around. Properly setup 5.1 stomps all over cobbled together 7.1. Also, again the notion that ported is not good for music was debunked. The PSA sounded great too. It was a tad tighter but I have to give the edge to the JTR because of the extra tactile oomph it provided.

Because I have TTs and a small room, sealed was the right choice for me. However, what I have achieved with four sealed 15" drivers I could have with two ported 18"s and not needed the TTs (giving up on 10Hz).

If I had the proper room and the budget, I believe a Cap 1400 combined with a Cap 2400ULF or 4000ULF would provide the best overall experience (including 10Hz though) without needing TTs or TMAs.

My opinion on two subs vs one hasn't changed. Two is better than one… in MOST cases. @bulls I can assist you in dialing in two subs, ported or sealed. @chucky7 I think you are fine with the single in its new position, just add a MiniDSP EQ to tame those peaks.

舊 2017-03-16, 04:49 AM #122
回應時引用此文章
Puff Daddy離線中